Single-Function: All Lexmark products released in the year 2014 - 2020
Multifunction: All Lexmark products released in the year 2014 - 2020
A 900.00 or 900.xx (i.e., 900.80, 900.43, 900.57, 900.30, etc.) error is displayed on the printer panel. The Error Code 900 can occur after powering up a device or while printing, copying, scanning, sending/receiving faxes, or other actions performed on the device.
These errors can be caused by a defect/bug in the printer/MFP firmware or a hardware failure.
- 900.00/900.xx errors caused by a firmware error
The error might show up when printing a specific document but not another. These jobs specific 900.xx errors cannot be fixed by a part or printer replacement but requires a firmware update using the latest available firmware or a special fix from product engineering.
- 900.00/900.xx errors caused by a hardware failure
These errors are less likely to occur but still possible. These errors could be caused by a loose cable connecting the controller card, damaged connectors, or a damaged/defective controller card. A faulty hard disk on the device resulting in corrupted buffered print/copy jobs can also cause a 900.xx error. These types of errors will require a technician to repair the printer with the right parts.
Before contacting Lexmark technical support for assistance, try the steps below to determine if the 900.00/900.xx error is caused by a firmware or hardware failure. This will help technical support to identify the right solution.
- Turn the printer OFF and unplug any network cable, USB cable, or fax line from the back of the device then turn it back ON.
- If the 900.00/900.xx error reappears immediately after turning on the device, then contact Lexmark Technical Support for assistance to diagnose a potential hardware issue.
- If the 900.00/900.xx error does not appear, print out the MSP.
- On the Printer's home screen, go to the Reports Menu and print out the Menu Settings Page.
- Write down the firmware level (Under Device Information) and the IP address (Under Network Ports) of the printer.
- Then proceed to the next step. (* If printer displays a 900.00 error when the MSP is printer out, then contact Lexmark Technical Support for assistance to diagnose a potential hardware issue)
- Turn the printer OFF once more and plug the cables that were disconnected in the previous step then turn device back ON.
- If the 900.00/900.xx error reappears, then proceed to Step 3.
- If the 900.00/900.xx error does not appear, proceed to Step 4.
- Boot the printer in invalid engine mode, please refer to KB article HO3892.
- If the printer powered up to an ‘Invalid Engine Code’ message, proceed to Step 4.
- If the printer did not boot up to the ‘Invalid Engine Code’ message, contact Lexmark Technical Support for assistance to diagnose a potential hardware issue.
- Check the firmware level and verify if it is older than the latest firmware version available. Update the firmware to the latest version on support.lexmark.com.
Note: Please refer to KB article HO550 for steps on checking and updating the firmware version.
- If the 900.00/900.xx error still appears, contact Lexmark Technical Support for assistance and report this as a firmware error.
- If the 900.00/900.xx error does not appear, then the issue is resolved.
Still Need Help?
Have the following available when calling Lexmark Technical Support;
- Printer model(s)
- Printer serial number
- FW version